Saturday, May 7, 2011

Wk 1 comment 2 Jana Claybrook

Wk1 Reading Copyright -Jana Claybrook

The copyright videos were interesting and a little overwhelming. I was totally oblivious to the depth of the piracy on media. The film “Good Copy/Bad Copy” opened my eyes to the extent of the piracy not only on music but on the motion picture industry as well. I have always wondered about those advertisements at the beginning of DVD’s about piracy being against the law. I guess I thought it was geared more towards big time offenders than just everyday people.

This program at Full Sail has certainly heightened my awareness of copyright issues. I have on numerous occasions searched for copyright free images and have been disappointed when I open the image.  Most images appear with the statement “This image may be subject to copyright”. 
 What does that really mean?  Where can I find material?
As I am immersed into the legal and illegal aspects of copyrighting this month, I hope to gain the necessary information to better educate my students.
We must prepare our students for success in the future by urging them to create original work and educating them on the laws of copyrighting.
My comment:
I related to you "ignoring" those opening warnings in the beginning thinking these were for big time offenders. I never thought that using movies in class was piracy. It turns out, as I understand it, I can't use my Netflix account to get a movie for my students to watch, I can show clips from the movie. But showing the whole movie is against the agreement. I too have felt overwhelmed in trying to find images, or other copyright free material. Thank you Leah for the list of sites, I have noted them and will most certainly check those out. Finally, I love your solution Jana, to have more students create their own work and share that original work, free of fear of copyright. I also love Creative Commons as a solution. I don't want to feel restricted as an educator on what I can do, and getting a handle on this copyright code will allow me to educate my students as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment