Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk 2 - response to Cherie Hellenbrand




MAC Week 2 Reading-Art of Possibilities Chapters 1-4


When I first watched the Ted video of Zander playing the classical music and attaching the music to meaningful memories of a person’s life, I knew this was going to be an awesome book.  After reading the first chapter I needed to ponder for quite some time on the question “What assumption am I making, that I’m not aware I’m making, that gives me what I see?”  And I definitely wasn’t ready to move onto the second question about what I could invent.  As I continued reading the answers started to become clear.

In the second chapter I had a better understanding of Zander’s writings and what he meant by possibilities.  My need for procedure and control accomplishing daily tasks and goals was hindering me from understanding what can be achieved. Zander states, “When you are oriented to abundance, you care less about being in control, and you take more risks.”  He continues to say, “In the measurement world, you set a goal and strive for it.  In the universe of possibility, you set the context and let life unfold.” 

Giving an A is the chapter that truly touched me emotionally.  Reminding me that my students by nature really want to learn and achieve.  I agree with the  analogy of chipping away the outside barriers so the student can reach their true potential. Stopping to really listen to the thoughts and trouble of students is so important.  The second to last letter written by John Imhof made me realize how I measure people and I need to step back and look at people’s actions and comments differently. Imhof wrote in his letter “We just have to stop demanding that it be on OUR terms or conditions, and instead open our selves to the possibility that what we seek may be in front of us all the time.”

Changes in perception to realize the contributions a person can make are twofold. Not only does a person feel good about himself or herself when they contribute, but they also radiate energy that carries over to other people.  I notice my attitude in my classes will directly relate to how my students perceive my lesson.  Reading this book has awakened my awareness of myself and others.



My Response:
The beginning question is such a good guide to help me think about the parameters I am putting on both my learning and my students, "what assumption am I making..."  I make aprox. a million a minute.  Assuming students are even hearing what I am meaning to say.  "...that I'm not aware I'm making..."I just think of how I already said something, so my students must remember it, right? not necessarily. "...that gives me what I see?" We all see what our experience and parameters allow us to.  I hope to use this guide as I go through my lessons.  
Lastly, I also agree with the importance of visualizing abundance.  Focusing on the big picture opens me up to many ways to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment