Friday, May 20, 2011

Wk 3 ART of Posssibility-Are we Totalitarian Teaching?

This weeks reading has me literally jumping out of my seat.  I love this book, it has truly changed my way of thinking, I hope I can inspire some the same way.

What has struck me first off is the idea of Contributions, thinking of myself as a contributor to my life.  This is so much more than just positive thinking it is a paradigm shift.  I was struck by the story of the woman in a cycle of financial struggle who was suggested to think about how she was giving something to her family by asking for help.  She was contributing to her family making it a stronger unit.  I have just begun an exercise program that I have been putting off for a long time.  I didn't have time, I needed to be there for my family, needed to work do other things.  I have recently seen how by taking this time in my life to become healthier, I am contributing to my family.  I am contributing to the overall health, and positive energy in my household.  I feel better and I am sharing these good feelings with my family and my friends. I am contributing.

Celebrating Their Spirit!!!
The next idea that catapulted me into writing this week, is the idea of the conductor being the Totalitarian leader of the orchestra.  The Maestro being the dictator of the group in which the orchestra gave no feedback.  This is so easily relatable to teachers in the classroom. Standing at the head of the class with a lesson in mind, a plan for the day, week, month, even year.  No room for change or movement.  The class not even thinking that they would have the opportunity to give suggestions about what they may do.  Then Ben comes up with the "white sheet" idea and leaves a blank sheet for his musicians to fill out suggestions on and open up a dialogue that all may be a part of.  I hope to instill this idea in my classroom, students today are looking for ways to become actively engaged, not to be lectured to but rather taking part in their education.  What if teachers asked their students how they wanted to learn today?  Now of course, with children there is always a strong need for direction and consistency, but what if we allowed them to find their voice?  What if we allowed them some choice in their learning?  What if we opened up the dialogue and listened to the children?  The ideas and suggestions that I have discovered anytime I have DARED to do this, have been outstanding, beyond my expectations.  Last year at the end of reading a powerful book about a girl growing up in Afghanistan, The Breadwinner, I allowed the students to show me what they learned... any way they wanted.  I let down the walls, constrictions about what I wanted to see from them.. I let them show me what they learned.  I can't tell you the AMAZING projects that resulted... I wish I had pictures.  I had students build cities out of clay, I had students build Nan bread stands and share that with their classmates in their presentation.  I had cartoons drawn, I had songs written and sung.  The class was alive with excitement and enthusiasm as I allowed the students the opportunity to direct their own learning.  Differentiation happened automatically, no one was comparing themselves with others, we celebrated each students unique abilities and they all got A's!!!  I gave the student's power and they flourished.

Finally, this message resonated with me in regards to this weeks class discussion as well, about teachers not wanting to change and embrace technology as quickly as other professions.  I would have to say that there is a fear of giving up control in the classroom.  Teachers are afraid that complete chaos will ensue and that student's will not learn all that they are "supposed" to.  I would challenge that and say that student's want to learn and become active learners and that given the opportunity of choice in a classroom, learning will thrive.

1 comment:

  1. Tiffany,
    I can completely relate to being so moved. What can I contribute is such a positive twist. I can also relate to taking the time to exercise. Especially this year, life can seem way to busy to take time for ourselves. But contributing to ourselves allows that energy to overflow into other areas of our lives.

    I also think it is awesome the many different projects you have done in your classroom. It is amazing what the students can do when we allow them to express themselves in their own individual way.

    ReplyDelete