Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wk 2 - response to Anna Dooley

MAC - Week 2 - Reading

The reading this week was very interesting and a great conversation starter with my family and friends. As teachers, we always talk to our students about reaching their full potential, the possibilities are endless if you put your mind to it, etc. After reading the first few chapters that we walk the walk but are not talking the talk. Until we, the society, can open our minds further and realize that the norm of rewards and penalties in education is not a natural law but a changeable philosophy, these “you can be great” seem a bit empty.

“Giving an A” was a wonderful chapter to read. I remember very clearly the feelings and thoughts I experienced while performing a recital for a grade in college or performing in rep class where immediately my teachers and peers would evaluate me and give feedback on my interpretations and techniques. It was so hard to focus on solely performing the music for arts sake and not striving for the best performance in rep or working to get the best comments of the day. It wasn’t until my senior year preparing my 4th and final full recital I focused on the music, and that alone…and I must say, that recital was the best recital of my life. Grades and ratings are taught to people at a very young age, even in daycare with student of the week or top reader. How wonderful for everyone if we could focus on the achievements met along the path to success compared to no one else but yourself. As long as we continue to reward society norms, and penalize other ideas and ways of doing things, our society will slowly dwindle down, like it is currently.



Anna-

What a powerful blog. I have such similar beliefs about grades and loved the Giving an A chapter. I had the opportunity to be a part of a team that stopped using grades on the report card and had to come up with language to use for standards based assessments. It was challenging and certainly time consuming, but I would have to say years later, so worth it! Students have specific items that they know they either need to improve, or excelled in. Letters are powerful inhibitors, it is so important to be aware of that when working with students. Sharing your personal experience was very meaningful. Thank you for your honesty and powerful message. You are an amazing woman who will inspire many musicians to become great!


No comments:

Post a Comment