Sunday, May 22, 2011

wk 3 Response to Joshua Montanye

EMDT MAC: Week 3 Art of Possibility Chapters 5-8

I have to say that I found Chapter 5. Leading from Any Chair to be very amusing personally. As it happens I am working on an ongoing documentary on Maestro Longoboardi who was a student of Karajan and quite coincidently we were discussing the importance of individuality just the other day. The youth orchestra in which he conducts has been preparing for a major concert and I've been going to a few of them here and there to document their progress along the way. As I arrived at the school where they practiced I received a frantic call from his wife informing me that he was running late and to inform the students of the situation. To my surprise when I entered the room where they held rehearsal I was greeted by the sounds of Vivaldi. I hung back in the hallway for a bit until the Maestro arrived just enjoying the young musicians interpret this classical piece. Maestro Longobardi seemed very pleased when he arrived to hear his orchestra continuing in his absence. He pulled me aside and commented to me that it was not a Maestro's job to teach the students how to play music just to feel it and he went on to imply that he was very lucky to be able to learn more about the music from his pupils. I've never personally experienced anything like this as an educator but from that moment I really gained an appreciation for the importance of feedback even at a Master's level. It is very encouraging to know even after you gain an understanding of the material there will always be new ways to learn and grow as an educator.


Joshua
That is a really great story to share.  I love the idea that the students were going on in the absence of the conductor, because they had the confidence and knew the music.  I think that sometimes a great way to check for understanding is to have students show what they know, showing us.  I also believe that it is our job as educators, conductors of the classroom, to instill the confidence in the students that they may not be able to find inside.Allowing students to teach us new things expands my horizons as well as theirs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment